EMPLOYMENT – FABRICATOR
G.W. Becker, Inc. (GWBI) is looking for a Fabricator who will be responsible for fabricating raw materials and components to create assemblies and crane parts.
- Read and interpret blueprints and weld symbols
- Identify deficiencies and make repairs in structural components of cranes
- Determine the required equipment and welding method necessary to complete a job by applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry and welding techniques
- Develop templates and other work aids to hold and align parts
- Complete welding per the engineering drawings, if welding is detailed, or per his/her own judgement if no welding details are provided
- Lay out, position, align and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly using straightedges, combination squares, calibers and rulers.
- Tack-weld or weld components and assemblies using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment
- Cut work pieces using powered saws, hand shears or a chipping knife
- Inspect grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometer, caliper and precision measuring instruments
- Finish surfaces of material product and re-touch welds including repair, polish and grind
- Examine finished work pieces for conformance to quality standards
- Handle materials by using forklifts and overhead cranes
- Properly maintain and clean the work area, tools and equipment
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics and wiring diagrams
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Desire to pursue training opportunities to continuously build knowledge and skills. Must be willing to cooperate and share expertise with others.
- Works well with others, respond to requests for assistance, focus on solving conflict not blaming, listen and get clarification and respond well to questions
- Take initiative, seeking out additional assignments rather than waiting for assignments
- Work with little or no supervision
- Meet productivity standards; complete work in timely manner
- Observe safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions and use equipment and materials properly.
- Follow instructions, respond to direction; take responsibility for own actions
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Must have 3G welding certificate (.045 FCAW)
- Two to five years of prior overhead crane experience preferred
- Possess a strong understanding of welding equipment and accessories
- May be required to pass pre-employment welding test
- Prior fabrication experience of large assemblies is a plus
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequency required ti stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.